Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Doris Barton and the "Mormon Bride"


Doris was an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She played the piano in church and was the Relief Society President among other things. Six years after they were married William (Harold) joined the church. He was baptized on October 7, 1927. He was ordained a priest on October 28, 1928. Doris and William often preformed at church and socials. Doris would play the piano and sing, with William (Harold) playing the mandolin and singing as well.

A last incident that Doris wrote about took place in August of 1931. She explains that this memory stands out so because of the joy that came to her afterwards. She pens:

“About five years ago, a play entitled “A Mormon’s Bride” was being shown at one of the Bolton theatres. The writer had issued a challenge to any Mormon to get up on the stage during a performance and disprove his statement. I attended the performance fully intending to prove him wrong. Half way through the performance the author came on stage with a pretty cock sure air about him; read some infamous statements from some pamphlets, and said that the play had been shown for five nights and the Mormons were afraid to come forward. Whether it was the things he said, or the man himself, I do not know, but I felt so angry I could not rise from my seat. I offered a silent prayer to God to help me still my anger. Immediately I felt very cold and did not recognize my own voice when I rose and walked on the stage. In spite of the man’s insinuations I soon had the audience with me. I was able to explain a little of Mormonism, and when I left the stage the people just clapped and cheered as if I had been the star of the evening. I had at least killed a lot of prejudice. The following days were busy ones, for reporters from all the papers were continually knocking on the door.”