Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Leaving for America

In 1963 Doris came for an extended visit to the United States. Before this trip she lived with Eric and Joan for about 18 months in Dovedale Road, having given up her flat in Wasdale Avenue. Joan shared this humorous antidote about Doris leaving for America:

“We had a party the day before she left (Eric’s family and George’s family). On the morning she left, Doris and Eric left the house (she is not sure if George was also with them) to catch the bus to the railway station – to get the train to Liverpool. I was dressed in a nightgown, dressing gown, and slippers when I waved them off up the street. I then went into the house and made myself a drink. Turning round with the drink I found Doris’ passport, tickets and boarding pass on the table! I ran after them (still dressed as above) to the bus stop (about 0.5 miles away). Luckily, I got there just as the bus arrived and they held the bus up while Eric collected the tickets from me! Who knows what would have happened if the bus had gone – I had no money with me to catch the next one and was hardly dressed!”