Monday, October 26, 2009

Grandson Martyn's Memories



Grandson, Martyn, remembers the tremendous encouragement she always gave to him in whatever he did. He writes this about his Gran:

“When I was very young she was always there for me, apart from when she was in the States, but even then I received letters and presents from various places over there. She sent me many pennants from the different states which I had on my bedroom wall all through my early years and up until my mid teens. These and the postcards and letters made me feel that I was actually there with her.

Before she went to the States I have very fond memories of when she looked after me and the walks that she took me on. One of her favorite walks was to the 'Jolly Brows' were we used to skim stones in the stream there. Even in later years she could still walk the legs off me and it was usually me asking when we were going to take a rest!

When she said she was coming home from the U.S. I can tell you I was very excited and it was like waiting for the arrival of a best friend who you had not seen in ages. She would tell me all about my extended family in America and the kind of things you all got up to and the places she'd been to.

One of the first places we went to when she got back was Blackpool and we stayed there for a week. While there we went to loads of places: (Blackpool Tower, Stanley Park, South, Central and North Piers, the Wax Works) and mostly by foot as she always liked to walk. That said whilst we were there I had my first ever tram ride from Star Gate (South Shore) up to Bispham (North Shore) and all the while she'd be telling me all about the area and past visits.

She also took me to see relations in St Helens, which if my memory serves me correctly; I think involved changing buses three times. I didn't even know we had relations there or at Platt Bridge (Wigan) which was another place we visited. Whilst visiting they would be talking about things from years gone by, and to someone who was still of tender years it didn't really mean much to me at the time.

Over my childhood years my Gran was not only my Gran, but a great friend to me and could always tell when things were troubling me. She would offer me advice and comfort when I needed it and the one regret I have in life is that I never got to say goodbye properly to her before she died.

When my Dad tells me how times were hard for them when they were kids, I realize how hard she must have worked to keep a roof over their heads and to keep the family together. It kind of puts any problems we have today into perspective.

A picture of Gran when she was younger has a place of pride in my house along with my two children's photos. I would have loved them to have met her, and then they would know for themselves how great she was.”